Sunday, January 29, 2012

Beginnings of new housewife

So as everyone knows by now, I'm almost out of the Navy. 6 years of my life spent getting bossed around, bossing others around, launching, recovering and repairing jets. Being covered in fuel and oil, carrying around chains, almost getting blown off the boat a couple times, great friends, lots of alcohol, air shows and amazing memories. I came away from the Navy with lessons learned, friends made, and a husband and dog gained. Not too bad for 6 years I think.

Now I'm out on terminal leave which is rapidly dwindeling, and trying to put the plans I have had for the past few years into play. Setting up a doula business, setting up teaching Dancing for Birth Classes. Problem, Im terrified of rejection. I know quite the quandrom when setting up a business, since I have to put myself out there to drum up business and find a place to teach classes.
So in the meantime, I have applied for school to start the nursing program and figure that will buy me some time while I ease myself into business and will fire out those pre-requisites for midwifery school at the same time :)

So while I'm waiting for school, and applying for jobs in the meantime, I am a housewife. There, I said it.  My sole job besides getting things together for business and applying for jobs is my house, my husband and my dog. It's a very strange change of pace, to go from having someone dictating what my day is like, to being in charge of my own schedule, to figure out what needs to be done in the house each day. Stupid little things like making the bed each morning when I get up. I cannot tell you how much nicer it makes the room feel and it sets the tone for the day. I think back and realize how I hardley ever made the bed, or if I did, it was a cheaters version, of just pulling up the covers and smoothing it out. Not actually making it, ya know tucking in corners, and all that crap that after boot camp you never want to do again for the rest of your life.
Another stupid little thing. Washing the dishes. By hand. Not in the dishwasher. Yep, you heard me right. The dishes are cleaner, we never run out of anything, and I feel better that I'm not wasting so much water and electricity running that stupid thing because I am simply too lazy to wash a few dishes. I love having the time and energy to actually plan out a meal and have time to make it, having time to make something out of nothing, and feeling accomplished at the end of making the meal. I know, how lame is this woman, you guys are probably saying to yourselves. And I would probably agree with  you, if I hadn't spent most of the past 6 years eating mostly take out, or just throwing meals together with hardly anytime to sit down with Jimmy and actually eat a meal. Ya know, together. Like a family.

So after the roofers are done, it's on to decorating, cleaning, re-arranging, organizing and all that other stuff that I used to just nod my head at when someone would tell me that they were a homemaker. I couldn't relate, plus I had been brought up to be independent and never "bend" to a man but to stand tall on my own. But I'm realizing there's nothing wrong with taking pride in taking care of your house and making that your job. I don't think this is something I would want day in and day out, but for now I'm liking it. I like embracing my femeninity, and taking on the gentler role in my marriage for once. I don't feel like "one of the dudes" for once, I actually feel like I'm someones wife. I know people who know me are probably thinking I must be drunk 24/7 or have started smoking something, but honestly it's just that it's so different it's intriguing. So enough with the ranting, but be prepared for my blogs where it's something ridiculous like "Oh my god, I just figured out how to make homemade laundry detergent!" or "Holy Shit, I just made the cutest little decoration out of twigs"

Sorry guys, it's happening :) At least until school starts ;)

Blessings all!

4 comments:

  1. I remember going thru what you are and you're doing it right! embrace the change and embrace your future! Be proud of what you do... Cause when school and life does start back up you'll miss the freedom to do all you said in this blog! Rock Lobster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW thank you my loffy!!! Thanks for not making fun of me lol! Rock Lobster!!!!!

      Delete
  2. haha yay your beginning to understand how exciting making your own laundry detergent can be for a homemaker(i havent made any yet just to be clear, but i plan on it!) as great as it can be, definitely go back to school and stuff because it is way to easy to get stuck in this life. Goodluck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Shannon, and coming from you that means a lot! lol, and I have already found a couple ways to make laundry detergent, think it's happening this payday! I'll let you know :)

      Delete