Sunday, March 23, 2014

Gluten Free Strawberry Crepes

I've had some of the best crepes in Oklahoma of all places, at my favorite little french bistro.  Since going gluten free, it's been a challenge to adapt my favorites and get the texture right.  

Since this was my first time ever making crepes, and Gluten Free ones at that, I'm just happy that they tasted right and that I managed to make them thin enough (albeit with a ton more water than the recipe called for) to kind of spread them out and make them thin enough to pass as crepes lol.  So there will probably be an "update, crepe making" post in the near future :)


Original recipe is found here on my Breakfast board on Pintrest. I made a couple substitutions though to make them Gluten Free. Below is my Gluten Free recipe.



Gluten Free Strawberry Crepes

3 Eggs
1 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
2 cups water
3 teaspoons sugar
½ Teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons melted butter

Beat the eggs, then mix with the Gluten Free all purpose and coconut flour. 

Slowly add in water, and mix well. Add the sugar, salt, and melted butter and mix until smooth.  If batter is still too thick keep adding water, about 2 Tbs at a time until thin enough to run off the spoon.

Heat non-stick pan on medium low heat (or use coconut oil or cooking spray if not non-stick) and put small amount on pan and spread until thin. Let cook until edges are set like a regular pancake, then flip and finish cooking.

                                                                                                                    

Now, I usually like fresh strawberries on my crepes, but this strawberry sauce looked too good not to try!

Strawberry Sauce

16 oz of fresh or frozen strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup of water

Wash and cut tops off of strawberries. Half the strawberries if you desire.

Mix water and sugar with strawberries and heat over medium low heat. While bringing to a boil, mush down the strawberries a bit with a wooden spoon or potato masher. Bring down to low and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Spoon into crepes and fold, or just put them between and on top of crepe layers like I did! I also added a bit of Greek Yogurt and a couple fresh strawberries on top just for some added texture and flavor. So good!

source: http://allshecooks.com/2013/04/06/strawberry-crepes/

No comments:

Post a Comment