Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pregnancy Fitness? Yes Please!

"You shouldn't be doing that, you're pregnant!"

"Why are you doing that, you're pregnant!"

"You're going to hurt the baby!"

I swear to God people. I think there is a lot of misinformation/societal 'norm' that surrounds fitness and pregnancy.  Too many people have this image of a pregnant woman gliding around in an ethereal glow, and slowly walking and doing yoga. And that's it apparently.  Even though doctors, fitness experts and the like have shown that a pregnant woman can still exercise, and even moderately vigorously (as long as it is something she has been doing for awhile and not say, starting mixed martial arts) people freak the F out!

I am a speed skater, figure skater, belly dancer, student of ballet, runner, and whatever kind of trouble I can get into in the great outdoors person.  I've stopped running because of the pain, haven't been in a ballet studio in months.  But I still lift weights, hike up the mountain behind our house, and go to speed skating practice as often as my body will allow me to do so.  I'm not the type of woman to just sit around and gently walk half a mile and call it good.  Didn't do that before I was pregnant, and certainly won't do it now, not when gestational diabetes can pop up at any time, and my body needs to be in good shape to help push little man out into this world.  It's very irritating when I'm excited to share my news on my adventures and I'm then dumped on with warnings and little comments, however well intentioned, about what I'm doing to my body and my baby.

This is a stigma that needs to change. Women already have to fight through all kinds of stereotyping and opinions on what they are doing to their bodies, which somehow makes people assume that this is a direct reelection on what your parenting abilities are.  Because one woman chooses to run marathons while 7 months pregnant does not mean she is any worse than the woman who walks every now and then and eats to her heart content.  One is not more selfish than the other. Yes, we are incubating little people, but we are also still real people, with real desires and things that make us peaceful and happy. If hiking up a mountain and speed skating will help keep me calm during my pregnancy while giving me exercise, I'm going to do it.  I'm also not a dumbass who will go all out on the rink to the point of losing control on my skates, and while hiking up the mountain I take my water bottle and take as many "scenery breaks" as necessary to catch my breath and get some energy back.

A quick search on Google will bring up all sorts of articles of fitness during pregnancy. And they all pretty much say the same thing: That the idea of not exercising during pregnancy is very outdated and can actually worsen your symptoms.  Obviously base jumping and skiing the Black Diamond slopes are out. But practically anything else is in, provided you have been doing it awhile or if it is new, is started very, very gently.  Here's a quick do/do not do list.

Keep Hydrated

Don't over exert yourself

Watch your heart rate
 (most references say around 150, I personally have found to be ok around 175, but always always check with your prenatal care provider!)

Don't start new strenuous exercises

Listen to your body!
(I ended up in the hospital with elevated BP and HR after traveling one weekend and pushing at the gym while dehydrated.  My body tried to tell me, and when I wouldn't listen it MADE me listen)

Replenish with nutrient dense food after exercise
(This means providing your body with protein, and iron, which leafy greens are a great source of)

Do something every day
(I don't always have the energy to go to the gym or the rink, but at the very least I stretch, do some squats, take the dog for a walk.  Every little bit helps and counts)

Be mindful of your weights
(Just because you could squat a bus before doesn't mean you can, or should, now. We all want to think our body can still take any beating we give it. It can't. I know. From Experience.)

Check with your provider

Don't beat yourself up!
(Emotionally or physically.  It's very hard seeing our bodies either not progressing or even regressing while we know we are pushing as hard as before.  It's hard, but admit to yourself that shit's changing. And that is ok.  Irritating, but ok.)


Some good links to check out if you want more information or inspiration on workouts:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/health-pregnancy-nutrition-and-fitness

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/health/pregnancy/fit-pregnancy/

For Ogden area chicas: https://www.facebook.com/miamamafitness


No comments:

Post a Comment